Panic Attack: A small business owner's ideas on how to manage when you feel overwhelmed

 Nan Berrett - Word Solutions 


people rushing in a shopping centre illustrating how easy it is to feel overwhelmed in a crowd


The other week I had a panic attack. It was quite unexpected and was caused by a difficult morning followed by a visit to a busy shopping centre.

We arrived at the food hall looking for lunch and the place was packed. I suggested my husband find us a table and I’d get some cash out of the banking machine, as I recalled that our favourite food provider didn’t accept card payments. I blithely told my husband that I would find him and then go and fetch our meal.

I got an incoming call and, in my hunt for a quiet place to stand so I could hear, I got disorientated.

I lost my landmarks and when it came time to find my husband, despite wandering through all the tables and chairs I couldn’t spot him. It was school holidays and the noise was overwhelming and became worse the more anxious I became.

That’s when I had my panic attack! I’m an introvert and find many social situations challenging. Oddly, I manage really well at meetings, do a lot of public speaking and run workshops – because when I have a purpose at a gathering I’m perfectly fine and behave like an extrovert with opinions, information and even a joke or two!


 “Anxiety’s like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you very far.” — Jodi Picoult


Panic attacks are different for everyone, but for me I lose my sense of balance, am devoid of rational thought and my eyesight blurs. This is coupled with a raised heart rate and mild shaking and when I try to talk I stammer and get stuck on single words unable to complete a coherent sentence – it doesn’t last long. I usually manage to pull myself into line, even if it’s only temporarily.

A couple of deep breaths and a calming technique and I had enough brains left to call my mate on his mobile phone! After trying to describe where we both were to each other he said he was pretty much where I’d left him and that he would stand up so I could see him. He is tall. And, he was wearing an Irish green shirt. And, I spotted him quite quickly. It still took me several minutes to bring my brain and body back to normal and my lovely man took over the hunter gathering thing and fetched our food and drink.

I thought I’d share this because it is surprising how many people suffer from anxiety or have panic episodes. I’ve had them since I was a child and have never been able to spend much time in department stores as the sounds and visual stimulation are too much for me. If I have to go in one I beeline to the department I want, do my transaction and leave as quickly as I can. Browsing open areas such as outdoor streets of shops doesn’t have the same effect on me, but I loathe going into busy restaurants or hotels as I’m easily disorientated.


a calm beach illustrating techniques for managing overwhelm


Panic attacks can be overwhelming and distressing, but there are strategies we can use to manage them:

 

  1. Recognize the symptoms: Panic attacks can cause physical symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, sweating, shaking, and difficulty breathing. It's important to recognize these symptoms as a panic attack and not a more serious medical emergency.
  2. Practice deep breathing: Slow, deep breathing can help you relax and calm down during a panic attack. Try inhaling deeply through your nose for a count of four, holding your breath for a count of two, and exhaling slowly through your mouth for a count of six.
  3. Use grounding techniques: Grounding techniques can help you stay in the present moment and focus on what's happening around you, rather than getting caught up in your thoughts or feelings. For example, you can try focusing on the sensation of your feet on the ground or the sound of your breathing.
  4. Challenge negative thoughts: Panic attacks can be triggered by negative thoughts or beliefs. Try to challenge these thoughts by asking yourself if they're really true and if there's evidence to support them.
  5. Seek help: Talking to someone you trust can be helpful during a panic attack. You can also consider seeking professional support from a therapist or counselor.

Remember, everyone experiences panic attacks differently, so it's important to find what works best for you. If you find that your panic attacks are interfering with your daily life, it's important to seek professional help.

I also read an interesting article – An Introvert’s Guide to Thriving: Simple Life Hacks to Avoid Feeling Overwhelmed. It suggests that introverts get overwhelmed more easily than extroverts, and I do think that's true, and there seems to be some interesting science around it as well. There are some good ideas in the article which I found helpful - take a look!


Nan Berrett creates visibility for small business as well as mentoring small business owners and startups to help them navigate the mountain of knowledge which is part of our everyday life in a digital world. She is based in regional South Australia in the beautiful Clare Valley and is happy to travel to meet clients or chat over Zoom. Find out more or book some time to chat: nan@wordsolutions.com.au





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why we shouldn't multitask - it doesn't work!

7 Productivity Tips to combat disruption

I retired and started my own business