7 Productivity Tips to combat disruption

7 Productivity & Organisational tips when your routine is disrupted


Working in a disrupted environment

I like structure and moving in straight lines. I keep a bullet journal with daily tasks and a habit tracker and my best work days are those when I know that I’ll be in my office to get stuff done. This year has been one of huge disruption for my husband and me – he has been on a lengthy recovery journey from cancer surgery and complications which have already lasted 12 months and are likely to go on for another 6-8 months until he achieves full recovery.

We live rurally, in the Clare Valley, South Australia, and his treatment has been at hospitals over 100km away from our home. There have been many days of hospital stays, several surgeries and daily treatments going over several months.

The weekly travel kilometres have been astonishing, and there have been many days on the road. As a result, my structure, organisation and productivity have taken a hit and I’ve had to look at ways to manage my need for order versus the need to spend time with my family, overnight in strange bedrooms and travel.

My husband has been amazing during this time – a fit and active bloke, who has had to remain fairly quiet, away from his beloved ‘man-shed’ and garden. I don’t know how he has done it! So my issues with order are pretty trivial against his. However, I need and want to keep my business ticking over, so I’ve had to rethink some of my routines and objectives.

Here are seven tips and strategies for productivity and organisation, which can be applied at any time, but are particularly useful when there’s some disruption in your life!

Not all storms come to disrupt your life, some come to clear your path

1.    Integrating some digital tools

I keep a physical bullet journal as it lists all my daily tasks and gives me a visual and tactile overview of my workload where I can make notes and highlight things, but by incorporating some digital tools you can add flexibility and accessibility to your planning,

Apps like Google Calendar, Trello or Asana let you access your schedules and task lists from anywhere. You can set reminders and adjust on the fly as your plans change. These apps can complement a physical journal (if you keep one) and don’t replace it.

WHAT I DO:

I complement my physical BUJO (Bullet Journal) with Google Calendar. My calendar is a complex-looking affair, where I put in my appointments, which I colour code, as well as tasks. I time block for travel time, as my Google Calendar integrates with my booking app. I also use a CRM system which alerts me when a task needs attention.

2.   Time Blocking

You can allocate specific blocks of time for different types of work – client work, work in the home, planning, social media etc. You can time block using your online calendar (Google Calendar). Time blocking helps make sure that you dedicate time to tasks which need to be done, as well as being able to set aside time for self care, family activities, social events etc. You can always adjust a time block whenever you need to – using calendars, like Google Calendar, you can just simply slide a block of time into another space or day.

WHAT I DO:

I use my Google Calendar for this. I block out travel time between where I land, and block out time between appointments to give me a breather. I block out almost every day throughout the year from 7am to 10am as I normally won’t book appointments in these three hours. This time is for personal things, including breakfast, journaling and getting my thoughts straight and awake! I generally won’t take phone calls in this time period either.

3.   Priority Matrix

Create a priority matrix to put tasks into categories based on their importance and urgency. You can then focus on what really needs to be done, especially when your time is limited. Take a look at the Eisenhower Matrix


Eisenhower Matrix 

            WHAT I DO:

I pretty much keep to this matrix, in a fairly loose way. I figure, with emails, that if you forget to answer something, then people will remind you. And, if they don’t, it doesn’t matter. Bearing this theory in mind, it becomes easy to bulk delete emails from my inbox. I keep deleted email for a month, then permanently delete, unless I’ve filed their contents already and they stay in my system for reference.

Delegating is always hard because we all know that no one can do what we do! Wrong! Nobody is irreplaceable in our normal world, barring the odd genius, so suck it up and pass on some of the work you don’t have time for, or which you don’t enjoy, to a trusted VA or staff member.

Deciding when to do non urgent work is critical, as, if you leave it too long, it becomes ‘urgent’.

Urgent stuff is always done first. I know what’s urgent and what’s not, so I don’t have to think about it in terms of the matrix.

4.       4. Weekly Planning Sessions

            Schedule a time every week to plan ahead. You can use this time to update any digital tools you use, review and adjust any time blocks. You can also use the time to prepare any work which can be done remotely or in advance.

     WHAT I DO:

     I use Sunday as my planning day. I check my Google calendar, update my bullet journal and redraw my habit tracker. I also draw up a small whiteboard, which sits on top of my computer tower and which shows my appointments for the week, so I can see at a glance where I am and what I’m doing. I colour code a band down the side of days where I am away from home.

 

Weekly whiteboard calendar

5.        5.       Portable Office Kit

          Create a ‘portable office kit’ with essentials which will make working from different locations easier. Tools can include a lightweight laptop, noise cancelling headphones, a portable charger and anything else which supports your productivity. Using your ‘portable office kit’ you can put together a familiar work environment wherever you are.

             WHAT I DO

             Whenever I travel these things go with me:

      •    Small, lightweight Dell laptop (which is in an elegant small bag!) 
      •    Espresso Flow – touchscreen, portable extra monitor.
      •    Small printer – HP Deskjet 3720 all-in-one 
      •    Pencil case with my favourite pens, highlighters etc and a small ruler.
      •    Charging cords and flat charger for everything – phone, smart watch, earbuds.
      •    Spare notebook
      •    Spare reading/computer glasses
      •     Mouse mat
      •     Mouse (because I prefer to use a mouse, rather than the laptop pad)
      •     Earbuds
      •     Business cards
      •     A hard top 'lap' cushion where I can put my laptop on my actual lap if I'm working out of my car!
      •     And, in my handbag, I have a charged up portable power bank.

            Everything in the above list is standard travelling stuff. I add any books I’m reading, my BUJO,             and other journals.

6.        Automations and Delegations

            Automate or delegate those tasks which don’t need your direct involvement – especially important for those jobs when you are away from your main workspace. You can automate bill payments, use email autoresponders or delegate some of your admin tasks to a virtual assistant.

            WHAT I DO

   I have a VA who manages my social media and who uploads my blogs and ensures all the links work. She also sets up automated emails for me and will do any other tasks I flick over to her. We have a fortnightly Zoom (sometimes more often) to discuss things I need.

7.                 7.     Reflective Practice

      You can use a bullet journal or general journal for reflection, not just for planning. Look back on the things which worked and what didn’t and adjust your strategies accordingly.

This can help to continuously improve your systems so they can fit in better with your needs and things change.

          WHAT I DO

I sit down at the end of each week on my planning Sunday and look at any hiccups and what I need to do to fix them. 

           Fixes I have employed through necessity have included:

·        Paying for a desk in a business hub – allows me to work in a professional space when I am away from home. The payment is very affordable and I have an office set up there with a computer and office supplies and I have access to a number of meeting rooms.

·        Adding a couple of metres of extension cord to my ‘traveling office’ box. The traveling box, apart from my laptop and spare screen, stays in my car permanently, so I can access it wherever I travel.

·        Remembering to keep a few spare batteries (AAA and AA) in my travel box, after I got caught out at a presentation, when my ‘clicker’ stopped working due to a flat battery.

·        Realising that because I am in unfamiliar places that I need to set aside sufficient time in the morning to do my ‘rituals’ such as writing in my gratitude journal and my main journal.

·        Taking my back cushion with me to save my back! So, I purchased an extra one to go in my ‘travel box’.

Back cushion – Bad Backs – Smartrip Lower Back Support 

Back cushion from Bad Backs

By blending digital and analog tools, focusing on prioritization, and maintaining flexibility in your approach, you can create a robust system that supports your productivity and well-being, even during unpredictable weeks.

Remember, your goal is to find a balance which allows you to be productive while also accommodating the needs of your personal life and family commitments.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Nan Berrett creates visibility for small business as well as mentoring small business owners and startups to help them navigate the mountain of knowledge which seems to be part of our everyday life in a digital world. She is based in regional South Australia in the beautiful Clare Valley and now has an office in Gawler, and is happy to travel to meet clients or chat over Zoom. Find out more or book some time to chat: www.wordsolutions.com.au

Nan Berrett business mentoring


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why we shouldn't multitask - it doesn't work!

I retired and started my own business